2019 Texas AYA Conference:
“MANY PERSPECTIVES, ONE FOCUS”
We invite you to join other healthcare professionals from around the state and nation to focus on the unique medical and psychosocial issues of cancer in the adolescent and young adult, age 15 to 39. Providers in every aspect of healthcare are recognizing that their care of this patient population can be improved when informed by the unique developmental, biologic and psychological needs of the AYA. The 9th Annual Texas AYA Conference, “MANY PERSPECTIVES, ONE FOCUS” will welcome pediatric and medical oncologists, hematologists, research scientists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, child life specialists, allied health professionals, and advocates to explore how FOCUSing on AYAs is the first step in improving outcomes.
Like the 8 successful Texas AYA conferences before, we have chosen engaging and seasoned speakers who will teach and inspire with expertise and real-world experiences. In addition, we will have breakouts that allow rich, practical, participatory discussions, allowing you to share your struggles, learn from more than 150 oncology professionals expected to be in attendance and build a network of colleagues from across the nation facing similar challenges in developing an AYA program.
The one and a half day conference will be hosted by the Fort Worth Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Coalition (FWAYAOC) and Teen Cancer America in Fort Worth, Texas from February 15-16. It will be held in downtown at the Worthington Renaissance Hotel (see below for booking details), right on the delightful Sundance Square, with wonderful opportunities for relaxation, adventure, fun and food!
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION through December 22!
Register by December 22 and save $50 off the regular price of conference admission. Don’t wait. Take advantage of our conference early bird rates before they disappear.
2019 AYA Conference Rates
After December 23
Child Life Specialist
Confirmed Faculty include:
- Barbara Jones, PhD, Professor and Associate Dean for Health Affairs Steve Hicks School of Social Work, The University of Texas at Austin will speak on Facing Loss and Finding Meaning.
- Karen Fasciano, PsyD, is the Director of the Young Adult Program in the Department of Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, who will speak on Technology Utilization in AYA care.
- Karen Albritton, MD, is an oncologist board-certified in both pediatric and medical oncology who is Director of AYA Oncology at Cook Children’s Medical Center, and Simon Davies, the Executive Director for Teen Cancer America, will speak on the History of AYA program development in the US, and assessment of next steps forward.
- Beth Boatman, who will speak on Sexuality and Sexual Health in AYAs
- Sumit Gupta, MD, PhD, FRCPC; Staff Oncologist, Division of Haematology/Oncology, Hospital for Sick Children and Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine and IHPME, University of Toronto, who will speak on Developing a national registry for AYA patients.
We are awaiting confirmation of several other faculty to cover the following topics:
- Patient adherence to prescribed therapy
- Population level outcomes in AYA Acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- The rise in incidence of colon cancer in AYAs
- Strategies to implement physical activity recommendations in AYAs
- Multidisciplinary approach to pain management with and without opioids
Detailed agenda coming soon!
200 Main Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76102
The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel is offering a special group rate of $169.00 USD per night
or make a reservation by calling the Marriott Reservation Line at 1.800.433.5677.
Special room rates:
Start date: 2/14/19
End date: 2/17/19
Last day to book: 1/14/19
Valet overnight parking with no in/out privileges – $28 per night
Valet daily parking with no in/out privileges – $10 per day
Please mention you are attending the Texas AYA Conference to secure your special parking rate.
The Worth Saving Badge is simple. Discounts are available to any group issuing an identification badge that includes the attendee’s name and name of the conference. We encourage attendees to take their badges with them as they venture out. CLICK HERE to download a PDF of all participating locations.